Denel Group - Naschem which is a division of Denel (Pty) Ltd, designs, manufactures and supplies medium and heavy calibre ammunition, such as naval rounds, aircraft bombs, armour and artillery ammunition.
It has launched a new series of ammunition. The nub-less Assegai range is optimised for use on NATO 52-calibre ordnance, but is compatible with existing 39-calibre guns.
Its product list consists of:
- M2000-HE and Practice
- M2002-Smoke M2003-Red Phosphorous
- M2004-Illumination M2005-VLAP
Ammunitions capabilities include:
- Users are seeking a shell weighing about 43kg, while the ERFB round tips the scale at 47kg
- Compliant with the relevant STANAGs and NATO's Joint Ballistic Memorandum of Understanding
- Accurate at long range
- Ballistically matched
- Safe to fire at 52-calibre top charge
- Rearward compatible on 39-calibre barrels
- Extended Range Full Bore (ERFB) munitions for use on 52-calibre weapons
It specialises in artillery ammunition and aircraft bombs.
Rocket-assisted VLAP shell can travel about 40km when fired from a 39-calibre barrel. This range increases to 52km with the longer barrel. The VLAP projectile carries a decreased explosive filling of 4.3kg in comparison with the regular 8.3kg charge.
It has many small and recurring customers, spread globally. The company's products have found buyers in the Middle East, Latin America, Australasia and Europe.