Last Update October 6, 2016

Categories

  • Electrical, Electronics & Electro-optics
  • Military, Tactical, Logistic Support Vehicles & related equipment
  • Radar, Sonar, Navigation, Targeting, Surveillance
  • Services (R&D, training, engineering, consultancy, …)
  • Weapons & Ammunition

LASER SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY CENTRE (LASTEC), Delhi has its origin as Defence Science Laboratory (DSL) established as a nucleus laboratory of DRDO in 1952. In the beginning DSL operated from National Physical Laboratory (NPL) building. Later in 1960, it was shifted to Metcalfe House. In 1982, the DSL moved to its new technical building in Metcalfe House complex and was renamed as Defence Science Centre (DScC).

In 1999, in view of the R&D thrust shifting to development of lasers and optoelectronics systems & related technologies, the laboratory was rechristened as Laser Science & Technology Center (LASTEC). With time, many of DSL activities were given to newly formed, specialised DRDO laboratories. DSL has served as a precursor for as many as 15 present DRDO labs, which include DRDL, SSPL, INMAS, FRL, ISSA, DESIDOC, CFEES, SAG and ITM.

In 1982, DScC was given a new charter of duties with its major thrust on lasers. In 1986, the centre was made responsible for the development of lasers for directed energy applications as one of its major missions. LASTEC has since established as a centre of excellence for the development of high power laser sources and related technologies, electro-optic countermeasure equipment and battlefield optoelectronics systems.

Laser Science & Technology Centre (LASTEC) - PicturesLaser Science & Technology Centre (LASTEC) - Pictures 2Laser Science & Technology Centre (LASTEC) - Pictures 3

Laser Science & Technology Centre (LASTEC)

Add to favorites